Thursday, February 17, 2011

How do you want to learn?

While scoping out Twitter yesterday afternoon, I came across a great blog from @macyluvsyou (twitter name). I would encourage anyone to read it: http://learnersville.blogspot.com/
What she wants is for a teacher to ask her and her peers how they want to learn. Easy enough right? I thought, "What perfect timing!" We happened to be starting a new unit the next morning.Thinking this would be an interesting question to pose to my students, and of course easy to answer- I did it.
The first class looked at me with blank stares and thought I was kidding. After a minute of silence a few students chimed in. The answers that I got were pretty much the same across the board: GAMES! Hands on stuff! No worksheets! No homework (nice try!)....I did have a couple of students who said more stuff on the computer, which was shot down by some classmates. I think the reason for this was more because our computers can be slow, don't always like to work, and it can be very frustrating. I understand where they are coming from, but that doesn't mean I won't hold that student back from learning/ doing things how he wants to.
The game idea rang out across the board, and one that stuck out was Charades. I took the charades idea and ran with it. Since we were covering new vocab today, which happened to be verbs, we used to Charades to add them to our list. I wrote down the words in Spanish and English. Each kid came up, grabbed a word to tell the class and acted it out. Those who weren't crazy about it, really got into the activity and enjoyed it! They now know "nadar" as to swim- and the one that X person acted out.
We've added words we already know to our new infinitives to create phrases. When I told them I wanted them to be specific and make phrases, they thought I was crazy and it would be difficult. I'd write a word down and ask what we could add to it. A couple students spoke up the first time and slowly more and more started to chime in.
My favorite thing is when they whine about something at first and then see how easy it is and love it! The whining gets old, but I know that they will come around and figure things out pretty quick.

No comments:

Post a Comment