Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Classroom: Before and After

This school year I have opened up a little bit more and tried to give the students a little more power. Before Christmas, I had sophomores demonstrate their understanding of reflexive verbs by showing me their daily routines. When they learned they had the power of choice for how they could present, along with creating their own rubric for assessment, the wheels started turning. I was amazed with what they came back with! There were some excellent presentations!
The more that I think about it, what's wrong with changing things up and making it what they want it to be? I can still say, "I would like to see this" and give them my reason why, but what's wrong with letting them choose from there?

Before listening to Angela Maiers and learning about a "Passion Driven" classroom, life in my room was pretty simple. We had the basic "I say, you do" sort of style along with some wiggle room. I would make copies of worksheets, give my students crosswords, and do PowerPoints, but that was about it. We have done projects, but not with a lot of room for their imagination. The daily routine project was the most power I have given my students in freedom of choice.
I have made a few changes and am really trying to emphasize that the work we do is theirs. My first day back, we sat down and had a talk about the changes that are coming. Yes, I will still give the occasional worksheet for practice on new grammar that we do. The worksheets they receive will be something that they can answer for themselves and should actually increase their vocabulary. Another change in the classroom is cell phone use (they love this one!). Their phones may be out on their desk and can be used at the appropriate times. We are learning to become better digital citizens and utilizing the resources that we do have. If they don't know a word they are actually using their phone to look it up, rather than changing their entire thought to be something they know how to say. So far it has gone over really well, and I hope to keep it up. We decided we had better post rules on cell phones, so the students in one of my classes came up with the list that is up.
The students know they are getting a lot of power and trust now, and the changes in a lot of them are amazing! I'm excited to go to my classroom every day and see what they will come up with and what new things we will learn today!

No comments:

Post a Comment